“It Takes a Team to Build a Dream.”
SCHOOL DAY – Our regular school day will begin at 8:30 a.m. and will dismiss at 3:00 p.m. Students are to arrive between 8:00 and 8:30 a.m. They are dismissed between 3:00 and 3:30 p.m. No supervision is provided prior to 8:00 a.m. or after 3:30 p.m.
ABSENCE – Regular school attendance is essential to school progress. Unnecessary absences should be avoided. When it is necessary for a pupil to be absent from school, the parent or responsible person must call the Education Connection Absence Line at 347-2970 by 9:00 a.m. on the day of the absence.
EARLY DISMISSAL – If it should be necessary for a child to be excused early, he/she must bring a note from the parent/guardian stating the times to be excused and the name of the person who will pick up the child. When a parent/guardian calls for the child, he/she must report to the office and the child will be paged using the intercom.
Teachers are instructed not to dismiss a child unless this procedure is followed.
SCHOOL VISITS – District and school regulations require that anyone visiting the school must immediately register and get a Visitor’s Badge in the school office. This is a safety regulation of utmost importance. There are occasions such as Parent-Teacher Conference days when your attendance is scheduled by appointment. The teacher is expecting you and therefore this office procedure is not required.
BUS ASSIGNMENTS – Students living more than two miles from school are assigned to buses by the Transportation Department. A child must ride his/her assigned bus. A bus pass is issued and must be shown to the driver when loading. Any deviation in bus transportation must be arranged through the Oak Hills Transportation Department, 598-2950. Please review with your child the “Student School Bus Behavior” section of the Springmyer Parent-Student Handbook. It is important that students understand and practice safe and appropriate conduct while riding the bus and know their consequences for misconduct.
STUDENT ASSIGNMENT BOOKS – Each student in Grades 1 through 5 will receive a Student Assignment Book for the purpose of recording homework assignments and communication between parents and the teacher. I ask that you review this book with your child each evening and sign where indicated each week on the last day school is in session. This tool will help students to be organized and be a means to keep you informed. If a student loses his/her book, a charge of $5.00 must be paid for a new book.
FITNESS EDUCATION – All students in grades 1 through 5 are required to wear gym shoes with enclosed heels for fitness education class. Girls in grades 1, 2 and 3 may find it best to wear shorts or pants on gym days. All students in grades 4 and 5 must have the proper uniform for class. Details will be sent home with the students.
REPORT CARDS – Report cards will be done electronically for grades 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 through Progress Book. Grades and comments are accurate, objective and honest indications of a student’s progress. Progress is available at all stages of the quarter in Progress Book. Kindergarten report cards are sent home twice during the year.
DISMISSAL – In the interest of safety, we have established an organized plan for school dismissal. Generally, those children who are transported by bus will be dismissed as the buses arrive. If you plan to transport your child by car, even occasionally, please observe the following:
1. No cars are to enter the front blacktop driveway between 2:30 and 3:15 p.m. All cars parked in the bus loading area should be moved during this time.
2. Children going home in cars will be dismissed at the North exit only. Parking is available in the lower parking lot as well as the North playground.
3. Parents, please do not leave your cars parked with the motor running. Accompany your child from the exit area to the car.
4. As a safety precaution, students will not be permitted to play in the mulch or playground areas while waiting to be picked up after school.
5. Please caution your car riders continually concerning the need for safety in the carpool area.
We are looking forward to meeting and working with you in the growth and development of your child. We can all do our best job when we cooperate in our endeavors.
If you park in the 2 rows in the middle of the parking lot, then we ask that you walk up to the door to meet your child so that they are not running through the parking lot to meet you at the car. At the end of the day, the children are excited and anxious to see you and don’t always use great care in walking in the parking lot. If you choose, you can circle around the parking lot to pick them up at the door.
We ask that you park in the designated spots ONLY to allow for the traffic to flow. Stopping in front of the door to wait for your child can quickly block traffic and cause it to back up on Ebenezer.
PARKING IN THE BACK PARKING LOT
If you choose to park in the back lot (behind the gym), please use extreme caution as cars may be arriving and leaving while students are being dismissed. If you park in the back along the grassy slope or south of the dumpsters, we ask that you walk to the area behind the fence line to pick up your child. Students waiting for their carpool to arrive will also be waiting in this area. Please DO NOT wait on the steps exiting the gym or near the dumpsters as this can be very dangerous
The following are general carpool rules:
- No running, pushing, horseplay, etc.
- Children MAY NOT play on the playground equipment while waiting for their ride. You may choose to let them play after your arrival and under your supervision.
- No bouncing balls or play while waiting.
- Children may not return to the building until the last carpool time is over. This includes taking book bags, etc. to the car and returning for an after school activity. This involves too much running back and forth in the parking lot.
- Carpool time ends at 3:20. Any child remaining will be sitting on the bench outside of the office. You will need to come into the building and pick them up.