The Oak Hills Food Service Department operates nine on-site preparation kitchens. The cafeterias serve healthy, well balanced lunches to over 7,000 students each day. We also serve breakfast in several buildings and cater for district-sponsored events.
There is a critical link between nutrition and learning. Proper nutrition is essential for students to feel better, learn better and behave better. Food Service offers a variety of menu choices to satisfy hungry students.
Click here to view the Oak Hills Local Schools Nutrition Standards
- Enjoy your food, but eat less.
- Avoid oversized portions.
Foods to Increase
- Make half your plate fruits and vegetables.
- Make at least half your grains whole grains.
- Switch to fat-free or low-fat (1%) milk.
Foods to Reduce
- Compare sodium in foods like soup, bread, and frozen meals ? and choose the foods with lower numbers.
- Drink water instead of sugary drinks.
The department provides wholesome appetizing food choices for the students and employees in the district at a reasonable cost. These choices contribute to the good nutrition that’s so vital to both mental and physical growth of students.
The department operates as a business. All costs, including new and replacement equipment, food, supplies, salaries and benefits associated with the Food Service Department are paid by money collected from students, staff, and federal reimbursement for the National School Lunch and Breakfast Program.
High schools offer students a large variety of choices, which include hot lunches, salad entrees, soft-serve yogurt, and cappuccino.
DID YOU KNOW?
1. Several different menu entrees are offered each day at all schools.
2. School lunches meet the Dietary Guidelines in meeting caloric and vitamin/nutrient needs.
3. If your child has a documented medical food allergy, submit a doctor’s statement to receive menu item substitutions.
4. Only milk and 100% juice are offered as beverages at elementary schools. Bottled water is also offered.
5. Fresh fruits and vegetables are offered at all schools each day.
6. Whole grain products are offered in all buildings when available from our distributors. Several pizzas are made with whole grain crusts.