The purpose of the Parent Involvement Policy, found in NCLB Section 1118 (e)(1)-(14),is to ensure effective involvement of parents of students attending Delshire Elementary and St. Dominic Schools,and to support partnership among parents and the community to improve student academic achievement. To accomplish these goals, the Title 1 staff at Delshire Elementary and St. Dominic Schools–
- SHALL assist the parents of children, in understanding such topics as the state’s academic content standards and state student academic achievement standard state and local academic assessments, and how to monitor a child’s progress and work with educators to improve the achievement of their children. Activities to support these goals may include attending informational meetings at school such as Open House, PTA meetings, and conferences; reading school newsletters and school websites; and contacting teachers by phone, written notes, and email with questions about academic progress and ways to support learning.
- SHALL provide materials and training to help parents to work with their children to improve their children’s achievement, such as literacy training and using technology, as appropriate, to foster parental involvement. Activities to support these goals may include attending informational meetings such as Open House and Family Literacy Nights, reading monthly school newsletters, and using materials from the Oak Hills Literacy Kit available at http://tgrg.ohlsd.org/
- SHALL educate teachers, pupil services personnel, principals and other staff, with the assistance of parents, in the value and utility of contributions of parents, and in how to reach out to, communicate with, and work with parents as equal partners, implement and coordinate parent programs, and build ties between parents and the school. Activities to support these goals may include professional development on creating a welcoming school environment with a climate of mutual respect for all shareholders, staff book study (Payne’s Understanding Framework…), and parent surveys and needs assessments.
- SHALL to the extent feasible and appropriate, coordinate and integrate parent involvement programs and activities with Head Start and community chidcare providers, and conduct other activities, such as parent resource centers that encourage and support parents in more fully participating in the education of their children. Activities to support these goals may include participating in the annual Success By 6 School Readiness Summit and providing informational meetings and resources for community childcare providers.
- SHALL ensure that information related to school and parent programs, meetings and other activities is sent to the parents of participating children in a format and in a language the parents can understand. Activities to support these goals may include providing materials in the parent’s native language and having language translators available http://www.g2local.com
- may involve parents in the development of training for teachers, principals, and other educators to improve the effectiveness of such training. Activities to support these goals may include parent surveys and needs assessments.
- may pay reasonable and necessary expenses associated with local parental involvement activities, including transportation and child care costs, to enable parents to participate in school-related meetings and training sessions. Activities to support these goals may include providing free childcare at meetings and coordinating transportation.
- may arrange school meetings at a variety of times, or conduct in-home conferences between teachers or other educators, who work directly with participating children, with parents who are unable to attend such conferences at school, in order to maximize parental involvement and participation. Activities to support these goals may include home visits and scheduling meetings at various times and locations.
- may establish a district-wide parent advisory council to provide advice on all matters related to parental involvement in programs supported under this section. Activities to support these goals may include seeking feedback from the Parent Advisory Council, PTA, and community organizations.
- may develop appropriate roles for community-based organizations and businesses in parent involvement activities. Activities to support these goals may forming partnerships with community organizations to provide programs such as Whiz Kids.
- SHALL provide such other reasonable support for parental involvement activities under this section as parents may request.
Reviewed by Title 1 Parent Advisory: Feb. 3, 2015[button link=”http://ohlsd.us/delshire/files/2015/04/Title-1-Parent-Brochure-2014-2015.pdf” color=”red” size=”medium” type=”3d” shape=”pill” target=”_blank” title=”” gradient_colors=”|” gradient_hover_colors=”|” accent_color=”” accent_hover_color=”” bevel_color=”” border_width=”1px” shadow=”” icon=”fa-download” icon_divider=”yes” icon_position=”left” modal=”” animation_type=”0″ animation_direction=”down” animation_speed=”0.1″ alignment=”left” class=”” id=””]Download Title 1 Parent Brochure[/button]